Saturday, February 12, 2011

Middle East: After Egypt, US assures allies of support

Al Jazeera

article printed in its entirety

US to assure support for Jordan, Israel

After the collapse of Mubarak's regime in Egypt, the top US military commander Mike Mullen has prepared to visit Jordan and Israel to assure Washington's support for Amman and Tel Aviv.

The ousted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Friday handed power over to the high military council after 18 days of mass pro-democracy protests.

The fall of Mubarak's 30-years regime has worried US allies in the region such as Jordan and Israel.

The Pentagon said on Saturday that Joint Chief of Staff Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen is scheduled to visit Jordan and Israel on Sunday and Monday.

In Amman, Mullen will meet with King Abdullah II and his Jordanian counterpart Lieutenant General Meshaal Al-Zabn, said Pentagon spokesman Captain John Kirby.

"He will discuss security issues of mutual concern and reassure both these key partners of the US military's commitment to that partnership," AFP quoted Kirby as saying.

Mullen is expected to sit down with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, President Shimon Peres and other top military officials in Tel Aviv.

Omar Suleiman, Egypt's former vice president, said on Friday that Mubarak had "abandoned the presidency," handing over the power to the Supreme Council of the Egyptian Armed Forces, which is headed by Defense Minister General Mohammed Tantawi.

Egyptians poured into the streets across the North African country to celebrate the toppling of the 82-year old dictator.

After three weeks of pro-democracy demonstrations across Jordan, King Abdullah last week sacked Prime Minister Samir Rifai and appointed Marouf Bakhit as the country's new premier, instructing him to "take practical, quick and tangible steps to launch true political reforms."

Egyptian celebrated and shed tears of joy for the fall of Mubarak's regime. The country is now is the hands of the high command of the armed forces, headed by Egypt's Defence Minister Mohamed Hussein Tantawi.

More than 300 people have lost their lives and thousands more sustained injuries since pro-democracy protests hit the country on January 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment